Monday, January 7, 2008

ENGL 230 Writing for Business Materials

As promised, here are some of the materials I have used in the past for ENGL 230. Please feel free to use or adapt as you see fit.

A brief explanation of the grade breakdown:

Participation Activities can be anything from a short WTL to a group activity where I don't really care what the answer is -- I just want students to write something down. This is a great way to check if they are getting it, and also a great way to have attendance affect their grades.

In-Class Exercises are typically taken from the exercises at the ends of the chapters.

The rest of pretty self-explanatory. The one change I am thinking of making this semester is to add in an assignment to do with technical writing -- this is not really covered in the textbook, but it is part of the outcomes, and I haven't covered it well in the past. I'm thinking something where students have to write up instructions on how to use some form of technology (Ipod, how to play a video game, how to use software) and take into consideration audience, medium, etc. To do that, I would probably combine some of the earlier letter assignments into one.

Supplemental Syllabus

Tracking Calendar

I'm going to do a separate post with all my assessments.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim, that is wonderfully generous of you! Thank you for sharing such solid materials.

psnow said...

Thanks, Kim. Some great ideas in here!